Five Easy Ways to Give to SJU before December 31
Make a Difference With These Smart Donation Options
The end of the year will be here before we know it. It is important to start planning now for how you want to make an impact this year. There are many gift options from which to choose, several of which offer attractive benefits for you while supporting Saint Joseph’s University. Here are five popular ways to help before the year comes to a close:
- Give cash. Cash is an easy way to give each year and can be used to prepay a pledge. To document a cash gift of any amount, you must have a dated receipt from Saint Joseph’s. Make certain you receive one. A canceled check provides sufficient documentation only for gifts by check if they are less than $250.
- Give appreciated stock or other property. When you give property to Saint Joseph’s, we’ll sell it and you will eliminate all the capital gains tax you would have paid had you sold it. Your gift will be deductible at its full fair market value on its date of delivery if you have held it for more than one year.
- Invest in a life income plan. A life income gift provides you with payments for the rest of your life and Saint Joseph’s with support thereafter. If you use appreciated securities that you’ve owned longer than a year to fund the gift, you will be entitled to an income tax deduction based, in part, on the charitable portion of the securities’ full value, in addition to eliminating up-front capital gains tax.
- Give real estate, artwork or other tangible personal property. Give property that would have resulted in the greatest capital gain if you would have sold the asset instead.
- Donate an insurance policy. A gift of a life insurance policy you no longer need makes a perfect year-end gift. To qualify as a deductible gift, Saint Joseph’s must become the policy owner. For most types of insurance policies, your tax deduction is usually the cost basis or the fair market value of the policy—whichever is less.
Giving Made Easy at Saint Joseph’s University
Contact Anat Becker, J.D. at (610) 660-1968 or firstname.lastname@example.org for helpful tips about getting the most from your gift this year.